Organs in Catholic churches in Groningen and Drenthe (the northern Netherlands) around 1850 (part V) by Victor Timmerby Victor Timmer | Het ORGEL | Year 99 | (2003) | Issue 2
Victor Timmer Organs in Catholic churches in Groningen and Drenthe (the northern Netherlands) around 1850 (part V)
Het ORGEL 99 (2003), nr. 2, 20-26 [summary]
The Catholic Church manifested itself ever more strongly after the restoration of the episcopal hierarchy in 1853. This five-part article gives a survey of the Catholic organs in the northern provinces of The Netherlands (Groningen and Drenthe) around 1854. Only a few of these organs have survived. Large new churches, changing liturgical demands, and a change of musical taste required different organs.
This is part 5 of the article. The organ studied in this part is the Freytag organ in Zuidhorn (St.-Jozef), built in 1804, replaced in 1943 by a harmonium. The organ still exists. It is now owned privately in Rijssen.
Generally speaking, the churches were small and so were the organs. As the financial means of the churches increased in the first half of the 19th century, larger churches could be built. Second-hand or even new organs were installed by organ builders like Van Gruisen, Timpe and Freytag, and later Van Oeckelen. After about 1880, organ builders from other parts of the country as well worked in Catholic Churches in the northern Netherlands, like Maarschalkerweerd, Gradussen and much later Valckx & Van Kouteren. In most cases, the skills of the organists and their repertoire were rather limited.