Catholic organs in Groningen and Drenthe (the northern Netherlands) around 1850 (part II) by Victor Timmerby Victor Timmer |Het ORGEL |Year 98 |(2002) |Issue 2
Het ORGEL 98 (2002), nr. 2, 32-37 [summary]
The Catholic Church manifested itself ever more strongly after therestoration of the episcopal hierarchy in 1853. This article gives a survey of theCatholic organs in the northern provinces of The Netherlands (Groningen and Drenthe)around 1854. Only a few of these organs have survived. Large new churches, changingliturgical demands, and a change of musical taste required different organs.
This is part 2 of the article. The organ that is studied in this part is the VanOeckelen organ at Groningen (St.-Martinus, organ built in 1841, moved to the Parklaankerkin 1925, dismantled in 1986 and now sold to Tholen, Gereformeerde Gemeente.