Catholic organs in Groningen and Drenthe (the northern Netherlands) around 1850 by Victor Timmerby Han Leentvaar | Het ORGEL | Year 98 | (2002) | Issue 1
Victor Timmer Catholic organs in Groningen and Drenthe (the northern Netherlands) around 1850
Het ORGEL 98 (2002), nr. 1, 20-31 [summary]
The Catholic Church manifested itself ever more strongly after the restoration of theepiscopal hierarchy in 1853. This article gives a survey of the Catholic organs in thenorthern provinces of The Netherlands (Groningen and Drenthe) around 1854. Only a few ofthese organs have survived. Large new churches, changing liturgical demands, and a changeof musical taste required different organs.
This is part 1 of the article. The organs that are studied in this part are: Appingedam(H. Nicolaas, probably a Schnitger organ), Assen (H. Maria ten Hemelopneming, an anonymouskabinet-orgel), Bedum (H. Maria ten Hemelopneming, an organ built by Timpe(1819) and maintained by Freytag (from 1838 on)), Coevorden (St.-Willibrordus, a Lindsenorgan from about 1850, replaced by a Winkels organ from 1894, which was moved to the newchurch in 1914 and later rebuilt), Delfzijl (H. Jozef, a cabinet organ) en Den Hoorn(St.-Bonifatius, had around 1800 an organ maintained by Lohman, got a Van Gruisen organ in1814, which was maintained by Timpe and later by Van Oeckelen and Adema; it was sold in1927).