Jan Jongepier: Over Five ages organ history in the Martinikerk at Franekerby Jan Jongepier |Het ORGEL |Year 95 |(1999) |Issue 14
Jan Jongepier Over Five ages organ history in the Martinikerk at Franeker
het ORGEL 95 (1999), nr. 6, 20-26 [summary]
The Martinikerk at Franeker had an organ as early as1478. In 1528 Jan van Kovelens replaced it by a new instrument. In 1719 Jan Harmens Kampbegan the building of a new organ which was completed in 1722 by Johannes Radeker, one ofthe pupils of Arp Schnitger. In 1838, Lambertus van Dam started a new organ with Hoofdwerk(Great), Bovenwerk (Positive) and Pedaal. Financial means were limited, so Van Dam had touse many of the pipes of the former Kamp/Radeker organ, and the Bovenwerk remained quitesmall: only 5 1/2 stops. Organist S.A. Hempenius from Zwolle was consultant.
The organ after the recent restauration. Photo: Bakker en Timmenga
The organ was inaugurated on 9 November 1842. The organwas changed in 1915 by P. van Dam. He replaced the Quint 3 on the Hoofdwerk by an Aeoline8, and the Fagot 16 by a Violoncello 8. The Bovenwerk got a new Viola di Gamba 8. OrganistDick Kreger, who was appointed in 1938, had the organ changed according to his neobaroquepoints-of-view. The Violoncello was replaced by a Holfluit 4, the Aeoline by the Nasard ofthe Bovenwerk, where a Scherp was added. The compositions of the Mixtuur and the Cornetwere changed. In 1996 the organ was restored to its original state by Orgelmakerij Bakker& Timmenga. Jan Jongepier was consultant; the organist of the Martinikerk, TheoJellema, was very much involved with the restoration as well. The characteristics of theorgan are its full and colourful tutti, and the sweet Biedermeier quality ofthe individual stops.