|Victor Timmer||Catholic organs in Groningen and Drenthe
(the northern Netherlands) around 1850
Het ORGEL 98 (2002), nr. 1, 20-31 [summary]
The Catholic Church manifested itself ever more strongly after the restoration of the episcopal hierarchy in 1853. This article gives a survey of the Catholic organs in the northern provinces of The Netherlands (Groningen and Drenthe) around 1854. Only a few of these organs have survived. Large new churches, changing liturgical demands, and a change of musical taste required different organs.
This is part 1 of the article. The organs that are studied in this part are: Appingedam (H. Nicolaas, probably a Schnitger organ), Assen (H. Maria ten Hemelopneming, an anonymous kabinet-orgel), Bedum (H. Maria ten Hemelopneming, an organ built by Timpe (1819) and maintained by Freytag (from 1838 on)), Coevorden (St.-Willibrordus, a Lindsen organ from about 1850, replaced by a Winkels organ from 1894, which was moved to the new church in 1914 and later rebuilt), Delfzijl (H. Jozef, a cabinet organ) en Den Hoorn (St.-Bonifatius, had around 1800 an organ maintained by Lohman, got a Van Gruisen organ in 1814, which was maintained by Timpe and later by Van Oeckelen and Adema; it was sold in 1927).